You can apply for a tax file number online if you meet these three conditions:
- You are a foreign passport holder, permanent migrant or temporary visitor.
- You are already in Australia.
- Your visa is one of the following:
a permanent migrant visa, a visa with work rights, an overseas student visa, a visa allowing you to stay in Australian indefinitely (including New Zealanders automatically granted a visa on arrival).
You can apply for your tax file number here: https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1
- You must be in Australia to use this online application process.
- During this application process, checks will be made with DIBP to verify that you have:
a valid permanent migrant visa
a valid visa with work rights
a valid overseas student visa
a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely.
You will need following:
Your Personal Details, Passport, VISA, travel document details, address, phone.
For more details visit: https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/tax-file-number/apply-for-a-tfn/